Home > Support Us > Membership > List of Victorian advocacy organisations


List of Victorian advocacy organisations

This list provides information about the key Victorian groups providing Advocacy, Information, and Complaints handling. Download the List of Victorian Advocacy Organisations

State-wide Disability Advocacy Services

(Action on Disability in Ethnic Communities)

Dandenong Office

  • 186 Foster St, East Dandenong
  • Tel: 9791 8344

Werribee office

  • Level 1, 1-3 Watton St. Werribee 3030
  • Tel: 8744 2100

Note: Info, referral, advocacy for ethnic families/groups, Bi-lingual Ethnic Disability Workers

(Action for More Independence and Dignity in Accommodation)

Information, referral and self advocacy support for people with disability with housing issues

Association for Children with a Disability (ACD)

Information Advocacy and Support for families of children who have a disability

Blind Citizens Australia (BCA)

Information and individual advocacy support for people with sensory impairment

Communication Rights Australia (CAUS)

Information and advocacy for people with disabilities who have speech or communication difficulties.

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CVA)

  • 113 Exhibition St, (GPO Box 123: 3001) Melbourne (local offices listed on page 6)

Helpline 1300 558 181

Complaints about purchases, refunds, contracts, scams, door to door sales etc

Deaf Victoria

(formerly Victorian Council of Deaf People – VCOD)

State-wide advocacy, info & support service for the deaf community

Disability Justice Advocacy (DJA)

Provide advocacy for people with higher support needs

Disability Discrimination Legal Service (DDLS)

Can provide advocacy, legal advice, training and community education on the Federal DDA.

Disability Resources Centre (DRC)

Outreach: 186 Foster St East, Dandenong

Information individual advocacy and support for adults with disabilities in Melbourne area

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

Advocacy support service for people receiving compulsory psychiatric treatment to have as much say as possible about their assessment, treatment and recovery

Leadership Plus Inc.

(formerly Action for Community Living)

State-wide advocacy & Info for people with all types of disability

National Aged Care Advocacy Line

  • Tel: 1800 700 600

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)

Advice, assistance and advocacy re. complaints on behalf of people who have an intellectual or psychiatric disability; dementia or an acquired brain injury

Star Victoria

Aims to heighten awareness of the rights of people with intellectual disabilities

(Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability Inc.)

Provides advocacy support for adults with an intellectual disability across Victoria

Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)

Individual advocacy and support for groups of people with emotional and/or mental difficulties

Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service

State-wide community legal service with primary focus on people with intellectual disability

Women with Disabilities Victoria (WDV)

Systemic advocacy on behalf of women with disabilities

Youth Disability Advocacy Service (YDAS)

Individual advocacy & support for young adults with disabilities

Regional and Local Disability Advocacy Services


(also, Barwon Disability Resource Council)

Outreach office

  • 1 Rutherford Crt, Maddingley 3340

Information individual advocacy for people with disabilities in Barwon and Southern Grampians areas

Colac Otway Region Advocacy Service (CORAS)


Now part of Reg. Info. Advocacy Council (RIAC)

Grampians Disability Advocacy Association (GDAA)

(previously known as Ararat Stawell Advocacy Service)

Main Office

Ballarat Office

Daylesford Office

Clunes Office

  • 69 Service St. Clunes c/- Daylesford office

Horsham Office

Stawell Office

  • 111 Main Street Stawell
  • Tel: 5358 2164

Information individual advocacy & support for people with disabilities

Gippsland Disability Advocacy

Provides support with individual, self and family advocacy, plus some citizen advocacy

Melbourne East Disability Advocacy (MEDA)

MEDA works alongside adults with intellectual disability in the local government areas of Whitehorse, Monash, Boroondara, Manningham and Monash. MEDA offers volunteer citizen advocacy and individual advocacy services and works in systemic advocacy.

Migrant Resource Centre (MRC) North West

Individual for people with a disability from CALD backgrounds

North East Citizen Advocacy (NECA)

Matches voluntary ‘citizens’ to a person with a disability as support in inner Northern Reg.

Regional Disability Advocacy Service (RDAS)

Wangaratta office

  • 15-17 Ely Street Wangaratta
  • Tel: 5718 0171

Individual & systemic advocacy for people with disabilities living in Upper Murray area

Rights Information and Advocacy Centre (RIAC)



  • 122 Queen Street, Bendigo (Box 2219, Bendigo DC 3554)
  • Tel: 5443 0550
  • Fax: 5443 5178
  • Email: [email protected]

Geelong: (formerly DRAS)


  • Deakin Business Ctr, Corner Lemon Ave and Eighth Street (Box 2641: 3502) Mildura
  • Tel: 5021 0265

Information individual advocacy and support for people with disabilities

Southern Disability Advocacy

Mentone office

  • 2/128 Balcombe Rd.

Advocates for person with a disability living in Southern Region using paid & voluntary staff

Southwest Advocacy

Information individual advocacy and support for people with disabilities

Sunbury and District Citizen Advocacy

Matches voluntary ‘citizens’ to a person with a disability as support in Sunbury district

Self-Advocacy Groups

The following are formal self-advocacy groups or networks. However, there are many local informal or service based (i.e. participants come from one service) groups across Victoria – contact SARU or VALID for information about local and service-based groups

SARU (Self-Advocacy Resource Unit)

  • Level 1, Ross House 247 Flinders St.
  • Melbourne 3000
  • Tel: 9639 6856
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Provides information and resourcing to set up and support self-advocacy groups

Advocacy South West Network

Self-advocacy network of people from services across the South Western area of Victoria

Brain Injury Matters (BIM)

Self-advocacy group representing people with brain injury.

Diversity & Disability (dnd)

Facilitates self-advocacy groups for people with a disability from CALD backgrounds

New Horizons (EACH)

Self-advocacy group that meets in evenings

New Wave Self Advocacy Group

  • c/- 8 Hopetoun Ave, Morwell
  • Tel: 5134 8071
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Self-advocacy group for people with intellectual disability including a drop-in centre

Powerful Parents Self-Advocacy

Self-advocacy group representing parents with intellectual disability meets at Ross House


United Brains

Provides links between ABI self-advocacy groups to share information and resources

VALID Self-Advocacy Networks

Facilitates four self-advocacy groups for individuals from services across regions to gain skills & information, as well as advocate about issues of concern to government etc.

State-wide generic Advocacy Services

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)

Metro North West

  • 27 Dimboola Rd, Broadmeadows
  • Tel: 9936 9100

Metro South West

  • 46-50 Walker St, Dandenong
  • Tel: 8765 5222

Metro Eastern

  • 703 Station St, Box Hill
  • Tel: 8803 8444


  • 206 Mair St, Ballarat 3350
  • Tel: 03 4301 7000


  • 119-121 Murphy St, Wangaratta 3677
  • Tel: (03) 5723 6444


  • 25 Ann St, Morwell 3840
  • Tel: (03) 5116 5701

Barwon South West

  • Level 5, 30a Little Malop, Geelong 3220
  • Tel: (03) 5226 4444
  • 218 Koroit St, Warrnambool 3280
  • Tel: (03) 5560 5273

Loddon Mallee

  • 81 Bull St, Bendigo 3550
  • Tel: (03) 5440 6100
  • 59 Madden St, Mildura 3500
  • Tel: (03) 5021 6100

Information and advocacy for any ‘consumers’ including people with disabilities who need support with problems with buying products, refunds contracts, door to door salespersons

Elder Rights Advocacy (ERA)

Advocacy and information for potential/current residents (and their families) in Nursing Homes and Hostels

Seniors Rights Victoria (SRV)

Provide legal services & advocacy (especially Elder Abuse) to any Victorian aged 60 and above

SHASP (Social Housing Advocacy and Support Program)

Metro Regions

Wesley Housing and Support Service

  • 291A Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood
  • Tel: 8870 4030

Uniting Care Harrison

  • 1012 Little Burwood Hwy, Wantirna South
  • Tel: 9871 8700

HomeGround Services

  • 1A/68 Oxford St, Collingwood
  • Tel: (03) 9417 2500

SASHS Western – Network (Sunshine)

  • Tel: 9312 5799

Wombat Housing and Support Services

  • Nth Melbourne 3051
  • Tel: 8327 2222
  • Free call: 1800 887 775

HomeGround Services

  • 122 Chapel St, St Kilda
  • Tel: 9537 7888


  • 294-300 Thomas St, Dandenong
  • Tel: (03) 9791 6111

Rural Regions

Community Connections Vic.

  • 26 Fairy St, Warrnambool 3280
  • Tel: 1300 361 680

Bethany Community Support

  • 1 Gibb St, Hamlyn Heights 3215
  • Tel: 5278 8122

Quantum Support Services

  • 225-227 Princess Drive, Morwell
  • Tel: 5120 2000
  • Free call: 1800 243 455

Brophy Family and Youth Servs.

  • Tel: 5561 8888
  • PACT Community Support
  • Level 4, 17 Lydiard St Nth, Ballarat
  • Tel: 5309 1900
  • Free call: 1800 660 446

Rural Housing Network


  • Tel: (03) 5735 2000


  • Tel: (03) 5833 1000


  • Tel: (02) 6055 9000


  • ph. (03) 5722 8000

Advocacy and Rights Centre (Bendigo and Mildura)

  • Tel: 5444 4364
  • Free call: 1800 639 121

Provides advice, advocacy and assistance to public housing tenants throughout Victoria

Tenants Union Victoria

  • 55 Johnston St, Fitzroy 3065


Provides advice, assistance and advocacy for tenants of private and public rental properties

Legal Centres

Great resource is the Law Handbook

AED (Association of Employees with Disability) LEGAL CENTRE

Information, training and legal advice for people with disabilities about employment, education and rights.

Disability Discrimination Legal Service (DDLS)

See entry in ‘State-wide Advocacy section’

Note: Can provide advocacy, legal advice, training and community education on the Federal DDA

Federation of Community Legal Centres (FCLC)

Information and support to find appropriate lawyer or to find your local Community Legal Centre etc.

Mental Health Legal Centre

Information and advice (phone or in person) to people who have a mental illness and their families

Victoria Legal Aid (VLA)

Range of support including a FREE phone legal advice and information service.

VILLAMANTA Disability Rights and Legal Service

See details in ‘State-wide Advocacy Service section’

State-wide community legal service with primary focus on people with intellectual disability

Welfare Rights Network legal services

Social Security Rights Vic.

Barwon Community Legal Service

Legal Centre for people with problems related to Centrelink. Phone Advice Tuesday to Friday afternoons

Monitoring and/or support with complaints

Great resource is the Law Handbook

Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)

Centrelink or Child Support

The Tribunal reviews administrative decisions made by Australian Gov’t ministers, departments, agencies (e.g. NDIS, Centrelink) including Migration & Refugee decisions.

Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

Commissioner for Children and Young People

Promotes the safety and wellbeing of children; investigates child deaths and monitors the standard and quality of care to children in out-of-home care.

Community Visitors (cv)

  • C/- Office of Public Advocate
  • 204 Lygon St Carlton
  • Free call: 1300 309 337

Monitors and reports on care of people living in disability funded residential accommodation

Complaints Resolution and Referral Service (CRRS)

Complaints about Commonwealth funded employment or advocacy services 9am – 7pm

Consumer Utilities Advocacy Centre Ltd (CuaC)

Systemic advocacy on behalf of energy and water consumers on policy and regulatory issues

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)

Refer to the ‘State-wide Advocacy Services’ section for contacts

Complaints and advocacy related to purchases, refunds, contracts, scams, door to door sales

Court Information and Welfare Network

Volunteers provide information and support to victims during Court cases. Rural contacts on website.

Disability Services Commissioner (DSC)

Supports to resolve complaints about State funded disability services

Health Services Commissioner

Information and complaints re. Health system.

Justice Connect

(formerly Public Interest Law Clearing House)

For improving access to justice and protecting human rights. Can assist with advice and access to pro-bono legal support. Undertakes law reform, policy work and legal education.

Law Institute of Victoria

Can provide info on lawyers in your area and who deal with specialist issues

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC)

Supports to resolve complaints about Victorian mental health services.

My Aged Care Complaints

Investigate concerns and complaints re facilities receiving aged care funding

National Abuse and Neglect Hotline

Hotline for reporting abuse and neglect of people with disabilities using government funded services

NDIS Quality and Safeguarding Commission (qsc)

Any complaint, including breaches of restrictive practice or Code of Conduct, incidents related to staff and services purchased with NDIS funding

Office of Professional Practice

Works in partnership with professionals and organisations to maximise people’s quality of life, promote people’s development and safeguard their rights

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)

Refer to entry in State-wide Advocacy Services

Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC)

Ombudsman and Industry Complaints

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

(formerly Financial Ombudsman Serv) includes:

Banking Complaints:

Commonwealth Ombudsman:

Credit and Investment Ombudsman (CIO)

  • PO Box A252, Sydney South NSW 1235 Complaints: 1800 138 422

Energy and Water Ombudsman VIC (EWOV)

Legal Services Board and Commissioner

Private Health Insurance Industry

Police Complaints

Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC)

Public Transport Ombudsman

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO)

Victorian Ombudsman

Senior Practitioner – (former OSP)

Refer to Office of Professional Practice (previous page) for issues re. DHHS programs

Monitors and advises on ‘restrictive’ practice in disability services in Vic. ONLY up until 30-6-19

VCAT – Guardianship List

Appoints Guardians and ‘Administrators’ where required for people over 18 years, who have impairments, disability or illness

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

Complaints about unfair treatment regarding work, school, services, housing or financial matters. Free advice service on discrimination law through Enquiry Line 9-4pm weekdays

Equipment and Communication

Communication and Inclusion Resource Centre (CIRC)

Aids, resources and training related to communication impairment. Also, Gastrostomy information and NECAS (Non-Electronic Communication Aids Scheme)

Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS)

For assistance with Applications and information

People with permanent disability aged 16 – 65yrs – receive an annual allocation of funds for purchase of continence aids, including pads.

Electronic Communication Devices Scheme (ECDS)

Refer to details for Independent Living Centre details below.

Equipment Recycling Network (ERNI)

Note: Provides recycled equipment and computers to people with disabilities.

Home Renovation Service

Provided via Archicentre 1300 13 45 13 a free assessment and advice on home modifications that assist maintain independent

Disability Aids and Equipment


Full range of equipment & aids including continence products

Independent Living Centre (ILC)


  • Shop C1, Central West Shopping Centre
    67 Ashley St, Braybrook VIC 3019
  • Postal Address: PO Box 1235, Robinson 3019


Electronic Communication Devices Scheme (ECDS) – communication and technology needs, including advice, therapy, equipment info, training and support to improve communication. ILC – range of equipment to try, along with advice and support. Appointments required

Key Word Sign Victoria

(formerly Makaton)

Free information and referral telephone service, with professional continence advisors, for people affected by incontinence; including advise about state and territory continence schemes

National Public Toilet Map

National Relay Service – NRS

Note: Assists people who are deaf or with speech impairment to make phone calls

SCOPE Victoria Advisory Services

Supported Accommodation Equipment Assistance (SAEAS)

Provides equipment and aids for people with disability living in Non-government disability accommodation or respite (excluding aged care facilities)

State-Wide Equipment Program (SWEP)

Provides people who have a permanent or long-term disability with subsidised aids, equipment, oxygen, continence and vehicle and home modifications

Solve Disability Solutions (formerly TADVIC)

Assists modify standard equipment or develop aids not available retail

TELSTRA Disability Equipment Program

Note: Information and assistance with telephone adaptations for people with impairments or disability

Vision Australia Foundation

Low Vision clinics across State. Sells aids and equipment for people with visual impairments

Aids and equipment websites

Information and support services

Afterhours GP Helpline

Provides free health information and assistance from a registered nurse or medical advice from a GP

  • Tel: 1800 022 222

Aged Care Information Line

  • Tel: 1800 200 422


Provides range services to people with ABI including accommodation, info, counselling, case management

Association for Children with a Disability

Refer to entry in Advocacy Services List

AMAZE (formerly Autism Victoria)

Info, counselling, family support and other services to people with autism/their families

Carers Association of Victoria

Information, referral and support for carers of people with disability/illness

Carer Gateway

Support for parents/carers including respite, information and afterhours emergency respite service

DARU (Disability Advocacy Resource Unit)

Provides information and resourcing for state funded advocacy services, their Boards and staff

Department of Health and Human Services
(DHHS Vic.) – Disability Intake and Response Team

  • Tel: 1800 783 783 (connects to your local office)

Information on services, referral and short-term response for people with disability


A 24-hour telephone service which provides anyone in the community with access to drug and alcohol counseling, information and referral to services

Down Syndrome Victoria Inc. (DSV)

Support, information, referral, hospital visiting to new parents, computer club and local contacts

Epilepsy Foundation of Victoria

Barwon SW and Grampians office

  • 8/265 Pakington St. Newtown 3220
  • Tel: 5223 1645

Support Groups, info, counselling and advocacy assisting people with epilepsy/families

Family Planning Victoria – Disability Services

Information, library, counselling, community and school education, sexuality education; clinical services

Housing Choices Australia (formerly Singleton)

Provides range of accommodation options and works with others to plan build housing developments

Migrant Resource Centres (MRC)

Migrant Information Centre Eastern Melbourne


Gippsland Multicultural Services

New Hope Migrant & Refugee Centre

MRC North West

Southern Migrant and Refugee Centre

Spectrum MRC

National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)

Oversees National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

Information websites

Human Services Directory

(health, disability, community)


Mental Health Advice Website

Depression Net

This NDIS Tip Sheet is a resource developed by the VALID Family Team. Note: Any updates are appreciated and can be forwarded to Christine Scott [email protected]

Skip to content