VALID is an award-winning organisation that has been at the forefront of advocating for people with a disability in Victoria since 1989. Over that time, we have developed training tools, information and resources, and advocacy to help empower people with disability and their families.
VALID is committed to the vision of an Australian nation in which people with a disability are empowered to exercise their rights – as human beings and as citizens – in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
VALID’s vision is also reflected in the principles of:
- The National Disability Strategy
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme Act
- The Victorian Disability Act 2006
- The Victorian Charter on Human Rights and Responsibilities
VALID strives to realise its vision through a range of strategies that work to empower people with disabilities to become the leaders of their own lives.
These strategies aim to:
- Build the capacity of people with a disability to assert their human rights
- Support people with a disability to take their place as equal citizens within their chosen communities
- Empower people with a disability to assert their rights as consumers