VALID actively engages with families to empower them and encourage person-centred approaches. We provide courses and information sessions on the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) throughout Victoria.
NDIS - Families as Planning Partners course
The VALID NDIS - Families as Planning Partners course is designed to assist parents/families of people with disability to get ready for transition to the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) by learning about planning – for now & the future, and how the NDIS individual funding & support could work for them.
This course runs over five sessions:
Session 1. NDIS intro & the Families' role
- an intro to the what, how and who gets the NDIS
- what is the families role in light of the NDIS?
Session 2. Getting your point across effectively!
- being aware of how I communicate
- communicating your needs with the NDIS, workers & services
Session 3. NDIS Planning & why have a PCP
- person-centred plan (PCP) & its' benefits
- the NDIS planning process
Session 4. The NDIS funding & purchasing process
- managing your funding package
- engaging and purchasing services
Session 5. Consolidating your plan!
- building the info in your NDIS 'plan’
- consolidating the info for your family members’ ‘Whole of Life’ plan.
The VALID Families as Planning Partners team
- supports families to be partners in advocating for the rights and interests of their family member with a disability
Families are often the primary source of information, support, guidance and advocacy for people with a disability. It makes sense to invest in ensuring families are well-informed and well-supported to play that role positively and effectively.
The VALID Families as Planning Partners Training Course
Members of the Family Mentor Team (FMT) provide the course from a unique family-member (peer) perspective.
The course explores:
The NDIS version Families as Planning Partners is a comprehensive course with the aim of assisting families who wish to:
1. get a good start on developing their family member's person-centred plan
2. see their family member’s perspective & understand their role in the NDIS process
3. develop the basis of broad NDIS goals
4. understand the NDIS funding process
5. understand the choices and responsibilities involved in managing an NDIS package
The course also offers:
One-off NDIS preparation sessions for organisations
The Families as Planning Partners Team is currently offering one-off information sessions and workshops to assist family members in understanding and managing the transition to the NDIS. This workshop can be tailored to suit your group or organisation.
The aim of the one-off NDIS sessions is to:
If you would like VALID to come and run the Families as Planning Partners training program at your for you or your service, or want more information about other VALID services, contact Christine on 03 9416 4003 or email email@example.com.